XVII: Final Evaluation of Performance

14:00 25th May 2017.

So today is the day of the performance!

The nervous energy is the only thing keeping me from crying!

LIGHTING

The light on the day of the performance I think worked for my aims of performance. Something that I hadn’t walked through stuck out to me most was when I walked in from darkness into the spotlight really worked in respect of it’s the actor talking about their debut and stepping into the spotlight.

MUSIC/AUDIO

I gave the technician all of my audio tracks and cued and they all played well on the day. I was thankful there were no technical difficulties as my show relies on the audio. However, I do believe if there had been a malfunction I would have been able to resolve it quickly and edit the script accordingly. The audio sounded of high quality through the speakers and added to the realistic atmosphere of being in a railway station, especially the background 10 minute recording of suitcases rolling past and trains arriving and departing.

SET

I originally decided that I was going to come into the space through the doors to show I am entering the platform and I’d be carrying a suitcase full of the jigsaw pieces. I later decided that day to instead get rid of the suitcase and just carry the jigsaw pieces. This would later link to a line in the script that talks about ‘carrying these experiences around with us’.

My set was very minimalistic for a purpose. I didn’t want it to be cluttered. I just wanted it to be about the actor and reflect that within the items. I would like to believe I achieved that. When considering my set, I thought about what I’d take with me on a train journey so everything I brought was something that was my own. I also didn’t want it pre-set because you don’t turn up to a station and everything is there waiting, you take it with you.

PROPS

• A tube of smarties
  • A bottle of summer fruits juice.
  • A Panic at the Disco magazine.
  • A train ticket for the journey.
  • Guitar case with guitar inside.
  • Rucksack on back with jumper in.
  • Black and white jigsaw pieces.

MARKETING

I created a Facebook page to advertise my performance, however, members of my class had expressed interest so I was expecting an audience. On the day I had an average of 15-20 people who had attended. I personally liked doing the Facebook event as it made the experience feel more professional and independent when seeing my name there and it was a good source of communication for those interested in the event.

Marketing Marketing2

IMPROVEMENTS

• I would debate putting a projection on the black curtains in the back of people walking by or the legs of people walking past and suitcases. This could add to the creation of world and atmosphere in which my performance is set.
  • To use a wider range in tone when delivering. Although I was intending for a naturalistic performance. I have a chunky scene of about three/four minutes long. When it’s spoke on one level with minute differences between pitch and volume it’s not as noticeable.
  • Make the performance longer! I would have liked to have put in a third song in the middle as I like to create the characters inner thoughts using the song. It would be interesting to use a contrasting song to what the character is saying. So if they appear happy, the song is anxious showing their true inner thoughts about the experience.
  • I would experiment with having the audience stood with me on this ‘platform’ and consider using studio two due to it’s length and shape, similar to a platform. Alternatively, I would prefer it to be a smaller space where it becomes more intimate and the audience can feel as though they are sharing personal thoughts from the actor when they’re speaking to them.

SUMMARY

Overall I am extremely proud of what I have achieved. At one point in that morning I thought I was going to bottle it and not step onto the stage to begin with. To get through the performance and receive positive feedback was rewarding. You are always your own biggest critic so I was glad to hear good reviews on my first solo show. This has improved my confidence in performing and given me more ideas for the future if I were to do another. I have worked with a great team of friends and colleagues who have helped shape and guide my performance into what it was.

I would like to perform it again and experiment these changes. I am pleased with how the performance went in terms of delivery and pace, the technical aspect and the reception from the audience. This has been a great experience whilst doing this module.